NAS vendor Synology has announced version 7.0 of its DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system software is now available for all Synology J, Value, and Plus series devices as a free upgrade. Updates for all other product series will be available over the coming months. DSM 7.0 has been in development for over three years and brings thousands of improvements to Synology NAS users.
DSM is the Synology NAS operating system software, powering the popular disk-based system, and unlocking its vast capabilities as a do-anything device. While at heart a NAS is, literally, network-attached storage, it is in no way limited to existence as simply a file server. With DSM and its rich ecosystem of applications, your NAS can be a WordPress blog server, web host, virtual machine and software development server, FTP repository, Plex media server, or many, many other things.
DSM 7.0 has been in the works at Synology for over three years and is now available, with compatible device owners merely needing to visit the Synology Download Center, download DSM 7.0 for their device, then use Control Panel / Update and Restore / Manual DSM Update to update.
DSM 7.0 features a completely new user interface, overhauls of many subsystems, and literally thousands of improvements across the entire platform.
Significant features include:
- Hybrid cloud support, allowing businesses to access or recover files instantly from multiple locations while managing Synology NAS devices across locations through a cloud-based performance monitoring and automated warning system
- New data protection to secure endpoint devices, virtual machines, SaaS services, and more with automated backups
- Fiber channel support, bringing high availability and low latency
- BTRFS metadata pinning for SSD cache, speeding up response and file access times
- Up to 200% faster SSD cache write-back performance
- Up to 80% faster RAID 6 performance
- Improved user permission controls, with change tracking and exporting
- FIDO2 support and a secure sign-in application for enhanced multi-factor and hardware-based passwordless security
- Active insights
- Linux bare-metal backup support added to Active Backup for Business
- Backup and recover entire Google or Microsoft 365 environments with Active Backup for Google Workplace and Active Backup for Microsoft 365
- A completely revamped Synology Photos application, including smartphone application, to provide fast and efficient backup and searching of photos with timeline views, person recognition, and other features
- High availability to combine two identical Synology devices to form an active-passive cluster, reducing service disruptions from hardware or software faults
You can install DSM 7.0 on your Synology NAS J, Value, and Plus devices right now at no cost. iTWire will also be testing it out and will provide a review, tips, and insights in the coming weeks.
Subscribe to ITWIRE UPDATE Newsletter here
GRAND OPENING OF THE ITWIRE SHOP
The much awaited iTWire Shop is now open to our readers.
Visit the iTWire Shop, a leading destination for stylish accessories, gear & gadgets, lifestyle products and everyday portable office essentials, drones, zoom lenses for smartphones, software and online training.
PLUS Big Brands include: Apple, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, Sennheiser and many more.
Products available for any country.
We hope you enjoy and find value in the much anticipated iTWire Shop.
INTRODUCING ITWIRE TV
iTWire TV offers a unique value to the Tech Sector by providing a range of video interviews, news, views and reviews, and also provides the opportunity for vendors to promote your company and your marketing messages.
We work with you to develop the message and conduct the interview or product review in a safe and collaborative way. Unlike other Tech YouTube channels, we create a story around your message and post that on the homepage of ITWire, linking to your message.
In addition, your interview post message can be displayed in up to 7 different post displays on our the iTWire.com site to drive traffic and readers to your video content and downloads. This can be a significant Lead Generation opportunity for your business.
We also provide 3 videos in one recording/sitting if you require so that you have a series of videos to promote to your customers. Your sales team can add your emails to sales collateral and to the footer of their sales and marketing emails.
See the latest in Tech News, Views, Interviews, Reviews, Product Promos and Events. Plus funny videos from our readers and customers.