This blog is about the How To connect Kodi to Synology. I will try my best so that you understand this guide very well. I hope you all like this blog How To connect Kodi to Synology. If your answer is yes then please do share.
The How To connect Kodi to Synology
Using a NAS device as file storage is a good option, but where it really shines is the role of a media server. It’s fairly easy to set up and connect, and it’s accessible by multiple devices.
However, if you decide to go with one of the more affordable brands like Synology, you will also need to install media management software on your streaming device.
There are several options, with Kodi, Plex, and UPnP being the most popular. Among them, Kodi is the most powerful solution, as it can play almost any file format. Here is how to connect Synology NAS to Kodi.
Connecting Kodi and Synology NAS is a fairly straightforward process. It has three stages and should take you no more than 15-20 minutes. For the purposes of this guide, it will be assumed that the Synology NAS and Kodi are already installed and functioning correctly.
The first section of the tutorial will cover enabling NFS (Network File System) on your Synology NAS. The second section will deal with creating the NFS rule on your Synology NAS which will be used to connect to Kodi. Finally, the third section will walk you through setting up Kodi. Without further ado, let’s connect Synology NAS to Kodi.
Enable NFS on your Synology NAS
In this section, you will learn how to enable NFS on your Synology NAS. Here is how it works:
- Open your NAS control panel.
- Click the “File Services” option on the “File Sharing” tab.
- Next, check the “Enable NFS” box under the “NFS Service” tab.
- Confirm your choice by clicking on the “Apply” button.
Create the NFS rule in your Synology NAS
After enabling NFS on your Synology NAS, you will also need to create a new NFS rule. For that, proceed as following:
- Enter your “Control Panel” of your Synology NAS.
- Select the “Shared Folder” tab from the left menu.
- Select the folder where your media files are stored.
- Then click on the “Edit” button.
- Click on the “Permissions” tab.
- Check the “Read / Write” box for “admin”.
- Then enter the following setting in the “NFS Permissions” tab: “Hostname or IP” must be set to “*”, “Privilege” must be set to “Read / Write”. In the “Squash” section, choose “Map all users to administrator”, while “Security” should be set to “sys”. Also, be sure to check the “Enable asynchronous”, “Allow connections from unprivileged ports” and “Allow users to access mounted subfolders” boxes.
- Click OK “
- Click “OK” again to confirm the creation of the rule.
Add a video source to your Kodi
Once your Synology is set up and ready, it’s time to add a new video source to your Kodi. Here’s how to do it on Kodi 16 and 17:
- Launch Kodi on your streaming device.
- Then select “Files” from the main Kodi menu.
- Here you need to select the “Add Videos” tab from the menu on the left side of the screen.
- After that, click on the “Browse” button.
- Select NFS (Network File System) from the list.
- Once the folder is opened, your Synology NAS will be displayed as an IP address. Select it.
- Then you need to select the “Shared Folder” of your NAS.
- After that select the folder you want to add. Click OK “.
- Make sure that the path of the selected folder is correct and that it displays correctly. Click on the “OK” button.
- Next, Kodi will ask you to give the new media source a name. Type the name in the text box and click “OK.”
- After that, Kodi will ask you what kind of media files are in the selected folder. Options include “Music Videos”, “TV Shows”, “Movies” and “None”. Select the one that suits the contents of the folder and click “OK”. This information will make it easier for Kodi to find movie / TV show subtitles, album covers, and other data. Kodi’s default resource for movie data is the Movie Database. You can leave it as is or replace it with your preferred resource.
- Finally, Kodi will ask you to refresh the information of all items in the selected path. Click on “Yes”. Kodi will browse your folders and add the files contained in the selected folder (s) to its database. Keep in mind that the process can take a while.
- At the end of the process, you should be able to see your newly added source in Kodi’s database.
- If you enable the ‘Update library on startup’ option, Kodi will automatically update its database on every launch.
NAS devices are great media servers for home use. They are easy to connect to the streaming device of your choice and are used for watching your favorite movies, TV shows, and video clips. With the instructions presented in this article, you should be able to easily connect Synology NAS to Kodi.
Benefits: How To connect Kodi to Synology
- The How To connect Kodi to Synology guide is free to read.
- We help many internet users follow up with interest in a convenient manner.
- The price of the How To connect Kodi to Synology guide is free.
FAQ: How To connect Kodi to Synology
What is this blog about?
In this guide, I told you about the How To connect Kodi to Synology.
How this blog helping you?
In this blogging guide, we discuss about the How To connect Kodi to Synology, which is very helpful for knowledge fun fact purpose.
back to menu ↑
Blog Conclusion: How To connect Kodi to Synology
If you have any queries regards this blog about the How To connect Kodi to Synology, then please ask us through the comment section below or directly contact us.
Knowledge: This blog is just for knowledge purposes.
Misinformation: If you want to correct any misinformation about this blog or want to update it “How To connect Kodi to Synology”, then kindly contact us.
Want to add more tips: If anyone wants to add more tips related to this blog How To connect Kodi to Synology, then kindly contact us.
Our Contact: Kindly use our contact page regards any help.